Terms and Conditions
Below are the standard terms and conditions used by the New Zealand Companion Animal Register (NZCAR or ‘the register’). Copies can be emailed at any time and may be subject to change without notice.
The NZCAR is intended to facilitate the recovery of lost animals by assisting those who find or recover lost animals to collect contact information for the animal and initiate the return of the animal to the proper owner.
The NZCAR is owned and managed by New Zealand Companion Animal Council (NZCAC) - a registered charitable trust that promotes responsible companion animal guardianship in New Zealand
Users of the (NZCAR) accept the following terms and conditions:
- “Customer” means the person who purchases or makes use of the services offered by New Zealand Companion Animal Council.
- “Main Contact” means the person who is the primary contact for the animal on the NZCAR.
- “Implanter” means a person or organisation that qualifies as registered microchip implanter and has an account to register and edit microchip details on the NZCAR
- “Registration Fee” means the fee paid to register a single animal onto the database.
- “GST” means goods and services tax chargeable in accordance with the Goods and Services Tax Act 1985.
- “Login” means a Customer’s personal email address and password used to access the Companion Animal Database.
- “New Zealand Companion Animal Council (NZCAC)” means New Zealand Companion Animal Council, its trustees, officers, employees or agents.
- New Zealand Companion Animal Register means the database, web services and support services that make up the wider NZCAR service. it specifically includes the services provided under animalregister.co.nz and www.lostpet.co.nz. This suite of services may change from time to time.
- These terms and conditions are governed by and will be construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand and customers submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of New Zealand.
- By registering on the NZCAR, customers may receive reminders, animal welfare educational advice, natural disaster notifications, invitations to participate in animal surveys, promotional and other material from us.
- NZCAC has the discretion to accept or decline registrations without reason, further NZCAC reserves the right to cancel any registration without notice should the need arise.
- No costs are payable to access your customer records or to browse the open parts of the website. Customers are responsible for any costs incurred in registering an animal onto the system regardless of whether it is later found that the registration is legal or illegal.
- NZCAC may, at its absolute discretion, suspend or terminate the account of any Customer at any time and for any reason.
- The NZCAR web service will be available online 24/7, subject to server accessibility and accepting there may be minor outages. NZCAC will also be contactable during office hours (excluding public holidays), using email, or phoning our freephone number.
- Material on this site must not be altered, modified, reproduced, transmitted or distributed without prior written consent
- We reserve the right to prohibit links to the NZCAR and you agree to remove or cease any link upon our request. You may not use any part of the NZCAR or associated services content by including advertising or other revenue generating material.
- Any visitor to the NZCAR must not use the NZCAR in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the database or websites or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the database or websites; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
- Any visitor to the NZCAR must not use this website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software.
- Any visitor to the NZCAR must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to this website without written consent of NZCAC
- Any visitor to the NZCAR must not use NZCAR websites to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications.
- Any visitor to the NZCAR must not use NZCAR websites for any purposes related to marketing without NZCAC’s express written consent.
- NZCAC reserve the right to alter, amend, vary, add or delete any content, policies, pricing and/or graphics as they see fit at any time and without notification.
- All rights, title and interest in all Intellectual Property in all concepts, systems, written, graphic and other material relating to NZCAC shall at all times remain the exclusive property of NZCAC. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall constitute any licence of or transfer of intellectual property rights to the Customer.
- Force Majeure Clause: If the performance of NZCAC of its obligations under these terms and conditions is prevented by reason of “force majeure” (which shall include prevention occasioned by fire, casualty, accident, act of God, natural disaster, any law, order, proclamation, regulation, demand or requirement of any government or government agency, strikes, labour disputes, shortage of labour or lack of skilled labour, shortage or unavailability of electricity or communications failures, or other causes whatsoever (whether similar to the foregoing or not) beyond the reasonable control of NZCAC then NZCAC shall be excused from such performance to the extent of such prevention.
Fees & Registration
- NZCAC reserve the right to alter the registration fee and to add alter or delete any other charges at any time in the future. Any increase or decrease in the registration fee shall take effect from the time of implementation and shall not be applied retrospectively to any fees already paid.
- The prices of all services are displayed in New Zealand currency.
- The prices of the services listed on this site are inclusive of GST, unless otherwise specified.
- Customers shall pay for the services offered by credit card, or bank transfer.
- If payment is by bank transfer the services of the site will not become active until payment has been received and processed.
- If payment is by credit card, the services of the site shall not become active until funds have cleared and have been deposited into the NZCAC accounts. If the credit card is declined the service will not be provided until alternative payment arrangements have been completed.
- NZCAC reserve the right to change these terms and conditions, including payment methods at any time and without notification.
- NZCAR records can be changed, with the main contact’s permission, by NZCAR support staff and organisations with ‘implanter’ status
- The provision of the NZCAR is limited in liability and customers are advised to read the limitation of liability statement on this site.
- The NZCAR is an information service only and makes no claim to any other function other than the storage and provision of the details supplied at the time of registration
- The primary contact shall be the party responsible for ensuring that information stored in the NZCAR is current and accurate. It is the contact’s responsibility to notify the NZCAR of changes to these details.
- The primary contact shall acknowledge and agree that registration with the NZCAR is not a guarantee that the animal will be returned, nor does it guarantee or make any warranty on the condition of the animal at the time of recovery.
- The Primary Contact is responsible for maintaining up to date contact details on the NZCAR. Normally, the Primary Contact needs to give permission for details to be changed, but if we cannot contact the primary contact after a reasonable amount of time and effort, NZCAR staff may change the records at the request of someone who claims responsibility for the animal. This is in line with the primary purpose of the NZCAR, which is to get lost animals back to the people who care for them. Being the Primary Contact on the NZCAR is not proof of ownership of an animal.
- The NZCAR disclaim any responsibility for the costs incurred in the recovery of an animal and the animal contact shall assume total responsibility for arranging for the return of the lost animal and any costs incurred.
- NZCAC, as owners of the database, expressly disclaim any liability for inaccurate or negligent use of the information stored in the database by any third party, including but not limited to, any authorised party to whom approval to retrieve owner details has been supplied.
- Every effort has been made to ensure all content on the NZCAR websites are legal and free from copyright. Any concerns over the use of content, images, code or any other aspect of the site may be raised with NZCAC during normal office hours and if found to be correct such content will be removed immediately.
- Any links to third party websites are provided for convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement or verification by the NZCAR or NZCAC. NZCAC does not monitor the content of any other website and is not liable or responsible in relation to any content on them.
- Any dealings with any advertiser or supporter appearing on the NZCAR are solely between the customer and the advertiser or other third party. To the maximum extent permitted by law, NZCAC is not responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.
- Registration data: the customer confirms that the data provided to us on registering as a registered user was current, complete and accurate at the time it was provided, and the customer agrees to maintain and update the data as required to keep it so.
- Reliance upon password: You release us from and renounce any claim in respect of or arising from any reasonable reliance by us upon any use of your password, including us disclosing information relating to your registration and/or affairs with us. You agree to indemnify and hold us, our officers and employees harmless from any claims, actions, costs (including legal costs), or losses by us or any third party due to or arising out of reasonable reliance by us or any third party upon any acts carried out, requests made or information provided through the use of your password.
- NZCAC shall protect the stored information with regard to all applicable laws of the New Zealand Government, however it expressly disclaims any misuse of this information by third parties, either authorised users, employees or non-authorised users, if it has been obtained either by illegal means or for illegal purposes.
- If at any time NZCAC does not enforce any of these terms or conditions, NZCAC will not be construed as having waived that term or condition or rights to later enforce that or any other term or condition. Further, if any part or provision of these terms and conditions is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or in conflict with the law, that part or provision is replaced with a provision which, as far as possible, accomplishes the original purpose of that part of provision. The remaining terms and conditions will be binding on the parties.
If you have any questions or concerns in relation to the NZCAR or these terms and conditions please contact us as set out below:
+64 21 555 285
Companion Animals NZ
PO Box 27273